Chapter 3: To the New as the New
33. And he came to Capernaum: and being in the house he asked them, What was it that ye disputed among yourselves by the way?
34. But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves, who should be the greatest.
35. And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.
36. and he took a child, and set him in the midst of them, and when he had taken him in his arms, he said unto them,
37. Whosoever shall receive one of these children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.
52. Then said the Jews unto him,
53. Art thou greater than our Father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?
54. Jesus answered,
56. Your Father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
57. then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
58. Jesus said unto them; Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
The ego is subtle, its ways are subtle, its working is very complex. It is a puzzle, and a puzzle that cannot be solved - that can only be seen through and through, but cannot be solved. There is no solution for it, because the puzzle is not anything accidental to the ego. Ego itself is the puzzle. If it were accidental, then there would be a way to solve it. Ego itself is the puzzle, it is its nature to be puzzling. So all the efforts that are made to solve it make it more complex, make it more difficult.
If you fight with it, you are fighting with yourself. There can never be any victory, you cannot defeat it by fighting. Because by fighting you will be dividing yourself into two - the fighter and the fought. And from where will you bring the fought? It will be just ego dividing into two parts, playing the game of fight. Sometimes one part can pretend to win, sometimes the other part can pretend to win, nobody ever wins. The struggle becomes infinite and meanwhile energy is dissipated, meanwhile life is wasted. Remember, you cannot fight the ego.